Today Nike released the imagery of the footwear that will be worn during the World Cup and through the summer. The Magista Obra, Mercurial Superfly, Tiempo Legend V, and Hypervenom Phantom are pictured in the vibrant World Cup colorways: Hyperpunch & Volt with gold accents featured throughout. It will be interesting to see how these boots matchup against the adidas Battle Pack on field.
Nike’s Risk Everything campaign continues today with a 15-second spot featuring Wayne Rooney. More clips will be released with other members of the English football team, “showing that risk is in their DNA as they prepare to play on the world’s biggest stage.”
It’s been all about Nike innovation lately, and they aren’t disappointing with today’s unveiling of the Mercurial Superfly IV. The new Mercurial utilizes the Flyknit upper and high-top Dynamic Fit Collar that has already made the new Magista so famous. The Mercurial boot is synonymous with speed, so who better than to introduce it than one of the world’s fastest players, Cristiano Ronaldo.
The boot was born from 4 years of R&D in the Nike Sport Research Lab, and the new technological improvements don’t disappoint:
- Locked-down Comfort: Dynamic Fit Collar designed for locked-down comfort at full speed.
- Barefoot Feel: Micro-textured Flyknit upper with NikeSkin for barefoot feel. “Other vital breakthrough additions include Superfly’s Brio cables, which are knitted directly into the upper and locked into the outsole. By connecting this tendon-like support to the heel, the Superfly acts like a slingshot that helps propel the player forward.”
- Explosive Speed: Highly responsive carbon-fiber plate designed for explosive speed in all directions. The pattern of studs is different from the current Mercurial Vapor, with two studs in the back and a different pattern under the big toe area. “Added studs at the boot’s heel offer stability, and extra traction has been placed at the toe to give players more grip and propulsion during the critical final 10 percent of their stride.”
As part of the Risk Everything campaign, Nike is asking players to showcase their skills and upload videos with the #RiskEverything hashtag. It will be interesting to see what people put up in the coming months.
“Winner Stays” is the name of the film just released by Nike for the second part of their “Risk Everything” campaign leading up to the World Cup. Cristiano Ronaldo, Neymar JR, and Wayne Rooney are now joined by a ton of other top players: Zlatan Ibrahimović, Gonzalo Higuaín, Eden Hazard, Andrea Pirlo, Gerard Piqué, Andrés Iniesta, Mario Götze, Thiago Silva, Thibaut Courtois, Tim Howard, and David Luiz. Other famous faces in the film include Ronaldo’s girlfriend and super model Irina Shayk, Kobe Bryant, Anderson Silva and Hulk (the big green guy, not the brazilian soccer player).
The premise of the film is a “winner stays” pick-up game that turns into an epic matchup between all of Nike’s top players and showcases their latest World Cup gear, the Nike Magista, and the newest addition to Nike’s innovative line of boots, the Nike Mercurial Superfly IV. Check it out below.
Nike held an innovation summit today in Madrid to showcase some of its technology and collections for the upcoming World Cup. Of course, the new Magista was on display along with some Volt & Hyper Punch colorways in both the Hypervenom and Tiempo boots. Some other highlights include:
- Athlete’s Journey- Player Collections: a collection for players to wear throughout various moments during the tournament.The collection outfits players all the way from warm-ups, anthems, playing and training, to media appearances, travel and downtime in the training camp.
- Off-Pitch Collection: The N98 Track Jacket, The Nike League Polo, Nike Tech Pant, Tech Fleece Full Zip Hoody, The IRD Saturday Jacket and Tiempo ’94.
- Artist Collaborations: Amongst those projects inspired by football is a collaboration with the Nike Skateboarding team and graphic artist Flip. The collaboration encompasses three limited edition jerseys for Brasil (home and away) and the U.S. (away). The shirts use the same performance materials and innovations as the Official Match jersey –worn by the players on the pitches this summer.
- Further Projects: Hurley’s national team boardshorts, a special edition version of the Air Jordan 6 to celebrate Brasil’s quest for their sixth star, and a Yellow Gold METALUXE edition of the Nike+ FuelBand.